Monday, January 23, 2012

Craft Pegboard


The pegboard for my craft desk is one of my favorite things about my craft corner. Seriously, the fact that I don't have to go digging for items all around the house is a huge benefit and has simplified my craft time. This pegboard was made so cheaply, and since several of you have asked how I made the supply containers, here's how! 


They were made out of metal cans... so the kind with Rotel and Cream of Chicken or crushed tomatoes. The can size is pretty standard, but make sure that they are all the same and completely cleaned out with lots of soap and let to air dry. Have hubby punch a hole in the back of them near the top so they can hang from your peg hooks.


Then, you will want to get some spray adhesive, cardstock and the fabric that you want to use. You could easily substitute scrapbook paper here too! I cut out my fabric and cardstock to the correct size to wrap and sprayed the cardstock, laying the fabric on top of it. Make sure you do it this way instead of the reverse, it will make the fabric all sticky and hard to control. The double layer is important since the cans are "ribbed" and could make a single layer of fabric or paper look kind of messy.



Once they are dry, you are ready to attach them to your cans. Get the hot glue out with lots of extra sticks and go to town. you want these to be stuck good. Starting at one end and wrapping all the way to the back. Don't worry about covering the hole. We'll fix that in a minute.


Keep going until you've done them all and successfully used a whole bag of hot glue sticks!


I used a sharp object to punch through the paper/fabric and into the hole in the can. Don't worry, it won't show if it isn't a neat hole, the hook will be in there to round out the hole and your items will be inside of the cans.


Your completed project! Time to get your craft on!


  post signature

3 comments:

  1. Super-duper cute! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:56 PM

    I have made several and really like them. I even made some small ones. I think I am going to add ribbon to the ends to hide the fraying material. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:50 PM

    How food you hang the thread spools?

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!

You Might Also Like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...